Monday, February 20, 2006

Proud of Myself

Okay, I can't help patting myself on the back. I get such satisfaction out of figuring something out that I know little about, but through trial and error.

Specifically, take note of the poem on the sidebar at the right. As far as I know there is only one way to add things to the sidebar and that is through editing and playing with the html in the template. I know NOTHING about html except what I have figured out (and tried to remember). So I copy and paste and preview and then when it's not what I want, I do it again...and again...and again. All the while hoping I don't really mess something up that I can't "put back". (I almost did that once and it really freaked me out.)

So, I wanted to put the poem there and I did...but the first part of the first word of each line was in the margin, overlapping the white border and it looked really horrible. (I had already figured out how to change the font size, so I had it pretty small.) I just couldn't figure out why the text higher up had a neat little margin but the poem resisted. As you can see I figured it out. How? I'm not sure I can remember. BUT I am sure I can figure it out again if I ever need to.

So, how come I can sit here for hours messing around with something like that that really isn't all that important? I don't think it's the actual "finished product" as much as the sense of satisfaction I have from knowing I have done something that I didn't know how to do before.

I'll write more about that poem and the Red Hat Society another time. I DID want to share my thoughts on that, but for now I'm just going enjoy the good feeling of accomplishment.

PS - I am expecting my next big feeling of accomplishment to come soon....when I finally figure out what's going on with my (Canon) printers. I have learned how to tear apart print heads and clean their "innermost parts"... I have realized that an inferior black ink will effect the quality of RED. I have a CIS system that is being very stubborn and have reverted to refilling cartridges, but at least I have found some made for the purpose that are very simple to refill. Since I have tried everything I can think of to nurse the poor thing back to health, I will sometime soon do surgery on the CIS (continuous ink system which feeds ink from bulk bottles, not cartridges). If it dies, oh well. Sometimes there are fatalites on the way to accomplishment, right?

1 comment:

Meera said...

Bang on!! I was one of those girls.
I'll send a snap sometime.

The poem rocks and so do u.. Really cleaning printers??!@@

Am amazed @ the energy and vitality u show, ur quite an inspiration...

But Debra, really Purple and three sausages.. Way to go!!!